Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ubuntu 8.04 remote access from MacBook

I wanted to get into my Linux box from my MacBook. This solution should work from other computers as well.
On you linux box follow the directions here.
Pretty basic and I did them remotely from mac over ssh.
One thing is for the MacBook you should change the resolution 1024X768 to 1280x800 and then you can use fullscreen mode. I'm using it now to type this blog. This was done in the Xvnc file you created in the docs above.
This runs over ssh. They don't really tell you how to do that on Mac, they give the Putty Windows instructions.
Its just a simple tunnel:
ssh -L 5901:localhost:5901 username@host.com

Then I used Chicken of the VNC which I had already downloaded. You just connect to localhost. Then it will get forwarded via ssh to your server.

Gnome crashed for me on my first login. I created a new remote login and then loaded
gconf-editor
from the shell. I had to go in their to apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins and made the mouse and keyboard plugins inactive.
I did this on a new login, becuase i didn't want to mess with my existing. I also wanted to tweak some settings, like a basic color background and no theme. This way I could turn off any animation etc that would just slow down vnc.
This change stopped the crashing and system has been working well. I made one last change, I went in to the login window settings and under the remote tab, I set it to be the same as local.
Would I wan to do this all the time, probably not, but it is certainly functional as I have had no trouble writing this blog over a remote vnc session.

Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment