Friday, February 6, 2009

mod_rails on ubuntu

It didn't take too long but I did get mod_rails running on Ubunutu 8.04. The instructions on the Phusion site are adequate and don't need to be repeated here, but a few things are left out that I got a little hung up on.
First for Ubunutu the configurations typically go in etc/apache2/conf.d, so I created a new passenger.conf and put in there the LoadModule and other directives they said in the install script. Then I thought I was ready to go, but it didn't work.
I was converting from Mongrel and had proxy statements left over in my virtual host config. I took these out reload and the site came up, but I couldn't log in.
One last item to note. I couldn't connect to my database. I noticed rails was logging to production and not development.
In passenger.conf I added a line to set RailsEnv development. Just add that to the bottom of the config if this is your dev box. For your production box, the default is production but you might want to set it to be clear.
I ran my first load test on our application and I was impressed. The application is serving as many transactions per minute as with mongrel it takes up some memory pretty quickly to do it, but it does release it without crashing the server and that is good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment