Friday, February 6, 2009

Running Visual Studio and Vista on Ubuntu



I installed Virtualbox today with Vista. It installed by following the basic instructions with no issues. I am using the binary edition for personal use only. I simply added their source to my apt/source.list and installed virtualbox-2.1. Created a new virtual machine and put the Vista disk in my DVD. It all loaded just like a fresh install. I did make the mistake of not making my hard drive big enough, so I'll have to reinstall to get to use the new larger drive. You can't make the drive larger later.
Once I loaded Vista, I was able to turn on 3D support for my video card and networking worked right away. The screen resolution was bad in the beginning but I followed the instruction to install the additional tools and I could resize my screen as needed. I included a screen shot using the seemless mode, where the Vista and Linux windows appear side by side.
My only disappoint was in the seemless mode alt-tab uses either window or Linux but not both. Hardly a great complaint. At this point I was just pretty happy that it was working. I only set the RAM at 1024 Meg which I thought would be to low but it wasn't. You can change this later, so that's not too big a deal.
Seemless mode was interesting but the system performed better when in windowed mode. So while it looked neat to try out since alt-tab doesn't work, I might as well have a desktop and the window performance.
For a free tool I thought this was great. The personal use edition has a few features I still need to try. They say it will load VMware VM's. I couldn't get that to work with an older W2K VM I had. They also say you can install the 64-bit version of an OS as a guest on a 32-bit host to try it out. So you know I have to install 64-bit Ubuntu this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment