Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hello World

I really just wanted to start recording my usage of Ubuntu, OSX and my iPhone. Much of the content will be so that I can remember what I did, and hopefully I can give a little back to community which has helped me so much.
I think it is important when discussing Linux to make sure you are aware of the physical setup of the machine, because your mileage can vary with Linux and different hardware. Currently I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on Intel Quad with 4GB. I boot from a SATA drive but also have software RAID 5 that I used for a long time before SATA drives were invented. I use a TV card, but because I have ATT cable now I can't get any basic channels as of yet. I'll be trying to figure out how to do this again. I recently purchased nVidia 9600GT to run my dual display. I'll post my experience getting that to work. I made a classic mistake and bought a Lexmark printer before checking online if I could use it with Linux. I can't. But it works with my mac just fine, probably have to figure out if I can share that in some way. I normally only buy HP because of their support for Linux but my last HP broke in just over a year and was hardly ever used. That ticked me off so I have a different brand now.
I think a site that basically listed the ideal hardware maybe configurations of that hardware for Linux would be great. Maybe people could upload their configs, their distro and any issues they had so that buyers could easily buy the right hardware. Links to online shopping might help fund the hosting of the site.

I'm currently working on a few projects. I am installing and working with Pentaho as an end user tool. I'd like to find some contracting work with Pentaho in the short term. I'll also be setting up VMWare as soon as I get an XP license. Sadly I have two in use, but need another one. I have an extra Vista license, but I don't want to use Vista. I'll be using some video and graphics software on Linux to see how those projects compare to my OSX versions.

In general, I'm a Unix guy. I have well over 10 years of experience compiling kernels but at that point its time to stop counting. Gentoo is my favorite distro. Unfortunately, it really fit my needs as a hobbyist but I could no longer justify using it for my production work environment. It has turned out that it is just easier to support Ubuntu and Ubuntu has run very well for us in production. Their desktop version is great, its a breeze to install and maintain. Then we deploy to the server version and everything is usually the same. I use my Mac as my family computer. My loves it, and its easy to support at home. Some of the developers use OSX for development as well, and I do sometimes. We have not had issues developing on OSX and deploying to Ubuntu yet. We have been writing Rails application primarily and have some PHP and Java work. As work on those projects I may write any articles that took me some time to figure something out.
I love my iPhone. I didn't think I would like it this much but I do. I want a ssh client to connect to my Ubuntu server for those crunch moments. Its a great phone. Nothing more to say about that.
If you have some Ubuntu questions or interesting topics. I'll see if I know the answer, just leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment